Twenty One Pilots are a musical duo from Columbus, Ohio. They started back in 2009, when frontman Tyler Joseph got together with his college friends Nick Thomas and Chris Salih. The two eventually left in 2011, which brought Josh Dun into the band. The two have been rocking the charts since then.
Starting off in small places, they played any show they could, and even for free. Just trying to make a name for themselves. Now they’re playing big arenas and touring different countries. Playing some of their biggest hits such as Stressed Out, which debuted May 16, 2015 and hit the BillBoard charts at number 2 on February 27th, 2016. But Tyler Joseph’s career started in 2009 back when he self released the debut album for the band, Twenty One Pilots did not have another self release until 2011, when Josh Dun arrived, and then released Vessel. Vessel really kicked off their career with hit songs such as Ode To Sleep, Holding Onto You, Guns For Hands, and Car Radio. The album itself hit the BillBoard charts at number 119.
After that was the release of the album BlurryFace. This album, released on May 17, 2015 was definitely a different point in the band’s career. A lot of the songs featured introduce Tyler’s own struggles with social anxiety and depression. The band even introduced a new look, in which Tyler dawned black paint on his neck and hands. The idea was for an alter ego named
Blurryface, who is mentioned in the song stressed out. BlurryFace, like Tyler, is insecure. Especially with what he creates via his neck and hands, which indicate his music. The album brought on more BillBoard chart music. I mentioned Stressed Out as one of them, but they also had Ride which hit number 5 on August 10, 2016. Tear in My Heart which reached number 82 on April 4, 2015. Last but not least, Fairly Local also hit number 84 on April 4th, 2015.
Taking a bit of a hiatus, their next album Trench wasn’t out until October 5th, 2018. Trench brought a lot of lore for fans to sink their teeth into, along with great hits such as Jumpsuit, which hit number 50 on BillBoard, and Nico and the Niners which hit number 79. Their latest release was the album Scaled and Icy, which came out May 21, 2021. This album got some mixed reviews from fans, as they took a different approach. Instead of the songs portraying sadness and anxiety, we got some sort of upbeat songs that were definitely unlike the Twenty One Pilots we knew before. But it still brought them success, with their hit Shy Away which reached number 87 on Billboard.
It also brought the takeover tour, which was a total of 6 cities, including their hometown of Columbus, Ohio. They continue to have massive success with big sales in Merch and have even started their Icy Tour. We hope to see another album from them soon.
But in the meantime, here are 5 cool facts about the band.
1) The band name came from a play called ‘All my Sons”, which Tyler had to study in high school.
2) Bicycle Thief and Chill Coat were other name options before settling on TOP.
3) They are in the Guiness World Book of Records for their album Blurryface which has a total of 1,400,000,000 streams.
4) BlurryFace is the first album to have every song certified by the RIAA
5) In an interview with Rolling Stone, Tyler Joseph said he can see the band being around for 40 years
- Twenty One Pilots Announce Release Time New Single ‘Overcompensate’
- Twenty One Pilots Officially Announce New Era & Finally Explain Full DEMA Lore
- Twenty One Pilots Continue Teasing New Era: What Has Happened So Far
- Twenty One Pilots Rumoured To Release New Music Soon
- Twenty One Pilots’ Tyler Joseph Announces He’s Expecting Third Child With Wife Jenna
- Get Ready For The Holiday’s With Twenty One Pilots’ Relaxing Mixes: ‘Ned’s Cozy Fireplace’